If you do fresh fruit export by reefer containers maybe you agree some similarities.
Load and ship reefer container,
… breathe deeply,
… close your eyes and cross fingers
… start the fresh fruits Rousse Roulette game!!!!!
How many bullets do you want to play?
Bullet: Good reefer function during the trip.
Bullet: Fruit quality.
Bullet: Good logistic plan (land & sea)
Bullet: Market situation when arrival.
Bullet: Exchange rate.
Bullet: Safe payment.
- I advise to do goods insurance and put always 2 thermograph units inside the reefer container.
- Load only the best fruit quality for export.
- Minimize transit time.
- Work only with the best shipping lines.
- Triple check all documentation requirements before shipping.
- Work only with professional customers, never ship without credit insurance coverage and reject customers only asking for prices without quality interest. Unprofessionals clients compare suppliers offers assuming all the fruit must be Premium Quality without thinking about price difference meaning.
- Never sale under commision basis, remember your fruit has minimum costs.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for prepayment on initial order as probe of good financial status and interest to work with you.
- Fix exchange rate when confirm order.
- Never use LC or other payment methods you don’t have experience with.
Despite above advises, there are many things who can fail, remember below:
- Time is against us in fruit business.
- Lot of people involved on the process, grower, traders (export-import), forwarders (export-import), transport companies, packaging companies, shipping companies, customs clearances (export-import), chamber of commerce, phytosanitary authorities, banks, etc, etc.
- Never forget your competitors, sometimes they are in bad situation desperate for sales affecting to the market situation and business relationship with your customers
- THE WEATHER!!!! Many time we confirm order one week before loading but the fuit still in the farm, it must be harvested and processed in packing house. The rain, wind, high-low temperatures, etc, etc, could affect negatively to the fruit giving us not Category 1 necessary for shipping.
How to play safe?
Be honest, load top quality fruit and work only with good professional customers and services suppliers.
Are you ready to play Fresh Fruits Russian Roulette?
your character will become stronger after this amazing experience, Promised!
Share your experience and comments with us, it could be a funny post.